Monday, November 5, 2007

Presents or Presence?

I have a great church. You should visit sometime. Just hit the GGWO link in the sidebar for times and directions.

This weekend some things were spoken there that had a profound effect on my soul. I love it when the Word of God does that! Don't you?

There are presents in life. These are the things that our minds tell us we deserve if we follow the directions. If we follow the steps, A to B, we will find favorable results. Yet we find it is not always true. Often, the steps are too great. They reveal too much about us. There are conditions that we cannot foresee. And thus, life is a struggle.

But, instead of presents, we can rest in His presence. God has called each and every one of us to Himself (Mark 8:34). He has created us for his pleasure. If my existence is to please him, and He equips me with everything needed to please Him, (Philippians 2:13), then I will be pleased in all things, for all things are of Him (2 Corinthians 5:18)!

I am not in control. Hebrews 11:6 tells me that it is only faith that pleases God. A to B is not faith. It is a program. Faith in God differs from faith in a system. God never fails. Systems are temporal and faulty. Faith in God is confidence in who He is and what He says. It is based on a spiritual apprehension, not statistics or collected knowledge.

So I look unto Him, Jesus, who authored and gave the perfect example of faith. As I look, I am ready to run this race called life. As I look away, I sense the loss of control, and I am apt to take charge. And then I may fall out of the race.

For me, there is so very much in these truths on which to ponder. I leave you to do the same.

No comments: